- The New York Times (19/01/14) explores the topic of education and nationalism in Israel, as Arabs grapple with what curriculum to teach children.
- The Japan Times (19/01/14) also looks at nationalism and language education in East Asian countries, and argues that “English-language education is fraught with deeper undercurrents of language protectionism and national identity”.
- Liberty Voice (19/01/14) argues that Russian President Vladimir Putin is looking to “channel Russian nationalism at the Sochi Olympics”.
- LifeSiteNews (16/01/14) reports on Russia’s retaliation of its homophobic policies, which includes the claim that “the European Union’s promotion of homosexuality has led it to ignore real human rights violations, including the growth of ultra-nationalist and neo-Nazi groups”.
- Eurasianet.org (13/01/14) reports on the recent border conflict between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan as each side attempts to quell potential populist uprisings.
- Nigeria Observer (13/01/14) features an article on “the declining interest in indigenous languages among the youth” in Nigeria and what that means for the country’s national identity.
News compiled by Karen Seegobin.
If you would like to write a response to any of these news stories, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.