- The L.A. Times (23/3/13) reports on the death of Chinua Achebe, the acclaimed Nigerian writer, often called the grandfather of modern African and post-colonial, literature. His novels have played an important role in debating national and ethnic African identities in the era of decolonization.
- OpenDemocracy.net (19/3/13) features an article on the possibility of a “European Spring,” by which the region can become a “cosmopolitan society of national societies.” Another article explores the limits of liberalism and European society.
- Groundviews.org (20/3/13) explores the relationship between Islam and Buddhism in Sri Lanka.
- South China Morning Post (20/3/13) reports on increased nationalist commentaries ahead of the Chinese President’s visit to Russia. Historic wounds are still open, related to when China relinquished territory to Russia in the 19th century.
- Al Jazeera (20/3/13) features a programme on a new play in Turkey, which explores the Turkish-Kurdish divide through theatre, and with an all-woman cast.
- The Fiji Times (20/3/13) features an article which looks at Fijian national identity, and the challenges of its construction.
- The Trinidad Guardian (19/3/13) reports on National Patriotism Week, whereby the government will focus on instilling national pride into its citizens.
News compiled by Karen Seegobin.
If you would like to write a response to any of these news stories, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.